The dev team for HacDC’s awesome, incubated Project Byzantium (PB) has ported their “ad-hoc mesh networking for the zombie apocalypse” platform to the Raspberry Pi. As the 1st milestone of their recent ISC grant award, they’ve started a parallel repository for ByzPi, their PB port for ARM, currently for Raspbian:
We opted to use Raspbian because it seems to be the more popular of the two [commonly installed Raspberry Pi Linux distributions]. Also, the packaging process for Debian was better understood than that for Arch Linux by the Project Byzantium team. We’re in a rapid development cycle so we wanted to hit the ground running and accomplish as much as possible in the available time before the first milestone.
Congratulations to The Doctor, Ben the Pyrate, and haxwithaxe!
what I see through the beauty of 2x *sigh*
This weekend has been full of rocking out the surface-mount soldering for my current project – Building the Proxmark3. Figured I would upload some pictures on Flickr here
The only magnification I’ve had during this is my 2x radio-shack bought magnifying glass, needless to say I’m looking for a nice scope now. Thanks to Virosa and Ellen for the help with this project, should have one ready to play with soon. Will give a talk at the space when it’s working and get some usage under my belt.
Thanks to DCist – http://tinyurl.com/5spogg – I got inspired to rip apart an extra SmarTrip card I had lying around for when friends/family visit me in the D.C. area. Unfortunately for them, they will now have to buy the day-long pass until I am done playing!
To start, today I took the extra card and soaked it in acetone for about an hour and after that time I was able to rip off the initial plastic of the card. After that hour-long of soaking you’ll find the card becomes very flexible and if you attack the corners with tweezers you’ll eventually realize the 3 layers of the card. The face of each side should peel off rather easily, although a minute amount of force is required.
See the Flickr set here: http://tinyurl.com/6ck5q5
If you take a look at the images you’ll see that all of the electronics (controller, antenna) are now exposed and we can start to play. My girlfriend just handed me a Faraday flashlight with a GIANT coil of magnet wire inside of it, so now we’re working on extracting that wire to use as the antenna for the smarTrip’s microcontroller.
More to come…